Director of Music
- St Mary’s Catholic High School, Chesterfield
- Salary details
- MPS £28,000 - £38819 UPS £40,626 - £43685 TLR1:1 (£7,778) per annum
- Job term
- Part Time
- Appointment type
- Closing Date
- 31 May 2023
Required from September 2023
St Mary’s Catholic High School is seeking to appoint an outstanding teacher and leader with a track record for achieving excellent outcomes to the role of Head of Music. A September 2023 or January 2024 start and 0.8 FTE are negotiable.
St Mary’s Catholic High School is a popular 11-18 mixed Academy with excellent student behaviour and judged to be ‘Outstanding’ (Ofsted October 2012). This is a wonderful opportunity to join an outstanding school and lead our successful and highly motivated Music Department at one of the top 20% performing schools for attainment in the country. Academic results are excellent; consistently achieving above average Progress 8 scores as well as impressive Attainment 8, Ebacc average point scores and outstanding A Level results.
The role would be suitable for someone looking to move into middle leadership or build upon their current experience at that level.
The successful candidate will be:
- A passionate advocate for your subject.
- Dynamic and innovative; providing professional leadership for the department to ensure high quality teaching and learning; enhancing further the excellent exam results of our thriving Music Department.
- An outstanding classroom practitioner, delivering lessons that motivate and inspire our students to achieve their academic and personal potential.
- Able to demonstrate a proven track record of working with and developing the musical skills of young instrumentalists.
- Able to lead and develop the delivery of Music in Key Stages 3, 4 and 5.
- Able to organise and co-ordinate liturgical music.
- Able to contribute fully to the department’s exciting and extensive extra-curricular programme which include annual whole-school Music and Drama events that are held both in our purpose-built Drama Hall and external venues.
We are able to offer you a welcoming and supportive environment led by a leadership team committed to staff wellbeing. A programme of weekly induction sessions provides the opportunity to meet key members of staff and be introduced to school policies and procedures. Bespoke ongoing professional development is a priority, and all staff are able to access high quality, carefully tailored training and development opportunities, including the observation of teaching and the sharing of practice.
We are particularly keen to reflect the diverse nature of our student community in our staff; we welcome applications from all qualified applicants and strongly believe that diversity in all its forms delivers greater impact to our whole school community.
Potential candidates would be most welcome to visit or have an informal telephone conversation with the Deputy Headteacher for Quality of Education prior to applying and if you would like to do so please contact the Headteacher’s PA, Mrs Rachel Gilding.
Application packs may be downloaded from the school’s website www.st-maryshigh.derbyshire.sch.uk or alternatively please telephone Mrs R Gilding, Headteacher’s PA on 01246 201191 (ext 2011) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 9.00 am on 18 May 2023
Provisional interview date: Week commencing 22 May 2023
Applications must be made using the school’s CES application form – CVs are not accepted.
Please note: applications will be considered as they are received and we reserve the right to close this position before the date specified above. We therefore urge candidates to submit an application as soon as possible.
Due to this post having access to children and/or vulnerable adults, the successful candidate will be required to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service check. The possession of a criminal record will not necessarily prevent an applicant from obtaining this post, as all cases are judged individually according to the nature of the role and information provided. Click here to see our policy on criminal background checks.