- County Hall, Matlock
- Salary details
- Grade 12 £37,915 to £41,299 per annum
- Job term
- Full Time
- Appointment type
- 37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- 16 October 2022
Principal Policy Officer
£37,915 to £41,299 - Plus market leading package (see below)
We are accepting CVs for this position so it’s easier than ever to apply!
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Policy & Research Team for a dynamic and committed individual to take forward and support key priorities for the Team and the Council as a whole.
You will liaise with elected members, partners and other agencies to influence and support the delivery of high profile Council priorities, across the team’s broad ranging work programme including strategic policy thinking, future planning and development, strategic partnerships and community leadership. Working closely with internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement wider corporate initiatives and programmes will also be part of your remit.
You will be joining an eager and ambitious team and will have the opportunity to really make a difference and have a manager who is supportive and keen to facilitate your development.
What will I be doing:
- Managing, leading and supporting the co-ordination, development, implementation and monitoring of a range of strategic policies, programmes and plans
- Developing and maintaining policy intelligence and insight and produce guidance, briefings, presentations and written reports for the Council and partners agencies
- Supporting new and creative ways to develop and shape the Council’s strategic plans and policies through policy design
- Preparing complex and detailed reports and/or plans for senior management to aid strategic decision making
- Collaborating with senior managers, partners and other agencies both locally and nationally to implement legislative requirements
- Managing and motivating a team of policy colleagues and contribute to the maintenance of a highly competent and professional working environment
This list is not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail.
What skills and experience you need to have:
- Be enthusiastic, versatile and self-motivated with the ability to work well as part of a team
- Substantial experience of policy development within a Local Authority
- Educated to degree level or equivalent and have detailed knowledge of national, regional and local policy issues
- The ability to respond to a rapidly changing agenda have extensive experience in a relevant field with knowledge of legislation and current initiatives affecting local government
- Displaying a high level of tact, diplomacy, drive and enthusiasm
- Outstanding communication and report writing skills
- The experience and ability to motivate people at all levels to make decisions in a complex and emerging policy environment.
What we offer you:
- 27 days of annual leave plus another 5 once you reach 5 years of continuous service
- Flexi time, allowing up to an additional 2 days of leave per month
- Generous local government pension scheme
- Guaranteed incremental annual pay increases
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts at selected county leisure centres
- …and much more!
Our Policy team is contractually based in Matlock, Derbyshire, but as part of our Modern Ways of Working programme we are currently working on a hybrid basis of two days in the office each week. There'll be an opportunity to discuss future working arrangements at interview.
We are accepting CVs for this position so it’s easier than ever to apply. Please include a covering letter outlining the reasons for your interest and your skills, knowledge and experience, taking account of the requirements set out in the job and person profile (attached). Each document should be no longer than 2 sides of A4 (font size 12).
If you would prefer to submit a standard application form, you can download one here and upload this instead of your CV.
We currently have a range of vacancies in our Policy & Research Team, to find out more about these fantastic opportunities and to hear what the team have to say visit; www.derbyshire.gov.uk/policyjobs
We're always pleased to hear from talented people so if you're looking to join a dynamic team and have the skills and experience we're looking for, then we'd like to hear from you.
If you would like to have an informal chat about this role, get in touch with Rob Lowe email@example.com
Provisional interview date; week commencing 24th October